I have been trying to eat like a runner for years.
And the secret formula is: there is no secret formula. But, there are good eating habits for runners. With so many diets and eating trends it can be hard to figure out what works best.
Actually, it can be overwhelming.
I have noticed that the runners who eat well, are not rigid, instead, they have formed eating habits.
Here are 6 Habits to Eat like a Runner. Try to form a habit for a month or two and then move on to the next one.
- Drink Water–when you wake up drink a glass of water, drink 6-8 cups throughout the day, and then one right before bed. This is a very simple habit to start with.
- Eat Quality–eating candy, processed foods, fried foods, soda and fast food will not help you be a better runner. Cut these foods out or keep them to a minimum. Choose foods that are quality foods such as, fruits, vegetables, grains, lean meats and nuts.
- Eat Quantity–the more miles you run, the more calories you burn, the more food you need. Do not skimp on eating. Especially if you are eating healthy foods, make sure to eat enough.
- Plan your Eating–instead of writing down everything you can’t or shouldn’t eat, write down what you should eat. Take a few minutes on Sunday to write out a rough menu for the week.
- Reward Yourself–eat some ice cream, have a beer, enjoy some pie, have a Coke. Just don’t do it every day. If you can totally cut these foods out, that’s great. If you can’t live without them, reward yourself once in a while.
- Think before you Eat–this small habit can change your eating drastically. Before you eat something take 30 seconds and decide if this a good choice or not. Will it help your running or hurt it?
What simple eating habits have you found work for you?